Welcome to our Website
Our school is located in the village of Ardcroney just 6km from Nenagh on the N52. Part of the parish of Cloughjordan, the current enrolment is 169 boys and girls.
Primary education was first delivered on this site as far back as 1870 when the phrase ‘information technology’ had not yet been coined. To-day’s modern well equipped school takes full advantage of information technology in the everyday teaching and learning. Each classroom is equipped with an interactive whiteboard and data projector. We also have ipads in two classrooms as well as the learning support and resource room for use by the pupils.
Thank you for visiting our website. Our aim is for children to be happy, successful and develop an enthusiasm for learning. We aim to develop good relationships between home and school, with parents feeling fully involved in their child’s education.
At Ardcroney National School, we promote and encourage good contact between home and school. We endeavour to provide a balanced curriculum where the arts, academics and sports are promoted with equal enthusiasm.
Children are encouraged to take responsibility for their own actions in a caring, friendly environment.
School starts at 9.00 each day and finishes at 1.40pm for Junior and Senior Infants while the other classes finish at 2.40pm. Children are supervised before school from 8.30 to 9.00 and after school until 3pm.
The school at Ardcroney was kept by James Filey and had 40 pupils. Richard McGrath had a school at Soolmoy where he taught 30 pupils.We do not know what these masters taught but probably the 3 Rs, Reading, Writing and Arithmetic.
A further report of the year 1835 mentions another school at Ardcroney kept by Patrick Gilmartin, he had a regular attendance of 34 pupils but this number would rise to 80 during the summer. He subsisted on small quarterly payments from the pupils.
Ardcroney National School was established on the 28th March 1870. Fr. Denis Moloney P.P. informed the board of education on the 11th May 1870 that the stone work for the new school was almost complete. This building now of course the Parish Hall served as a school until the present one was erected in 1949.
The current school building was extended in 1984 to include four classrooms, teachers room, library and storeroom. A fifth classroom, learning support room and disabled toilet were added in 2011 to accommodate the increasing roll numbers. Two more rooms, a classroom and a resource room were added in 2016.